Over 30 oilseed processing industry professionals convened April 10-12 for the 84th annual Oil Mill Operators Short Course at the Holiday Inn in downtown Des Moines, IA. The course is hosted by the Texas A&M University Food Protein R&D Center and IOMSA.
Educational sessions included:
- “Update on high oleic soybeans, new traits and identity preservation” – Dave Tegeder, Pioneer Hi-Bred International.
- “Industry update/trends” – Adolfo Subieta, DeSmet Ballestra.
- “Comprehensive heat recovery through the use of plate heat exchangers” – Mohamed Abid, Solex Thermal Science, Inc.
- “Recent trends in oilseed processing” – Doug Reuscher, Roskamp Champion.
- “FSMA compliance and GHC” – David Fairfield, NGFA.
- “Industry update” – Chas Teeter, Crown Iron Works.
- “Process efficiency improvements due to maintenance and training” – Thorsten Muenker, SIWACO GmbH.
- “Vegetable oil processing and the recent advancement, an overview” – Mohammad Alam, Texas A&M University — Process Engineering R&D Center.
In addition to the educational sessions, the short course also included a social mixer (sponsored by Minnesota Soybean Processors), a tour of DuPont Pioneer’s R&D facility in Johnston, IA, as well as a trip to Principal Park to see the Iowa Cubs take on the New Orleans Zephyrs.